Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

National Fudge Day

Today is National Fudge Day, not to be confused with National Nutty Fudge Day. Yes, plenty of holidays to celebrate chocolate. On May 11, I blogged about National Nutty Fudge Day and the history of fudge and gave three recipes. I'm not a candy maker, and the first two recipes are quite easy. Alton Brown's recipe is a bit more complicated and requires a candy thermometer.

Look up the other recipes, and here's another easy one. This is a variation on my Foolproof Dark Chocolate Fudge Recipe.
Ingredients:
2 cups (about 12 oz) organic fair-trade high % cacoa chocolate, broken up
1 can (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Line an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan with foil.
Combine chocolate and sweetened condensed milk in heavy-duty saucepan. Warm over lowest possible heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in nuts and vanilla extract.
Spread evenly into prepared baking pan. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Lift from pan; remove foil. Cut into 48 pieces.

Pretty easy!!! Remember you can vary the taste of your fudge through the chocolate you use.

5 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Oh my, does that look good. I sure could use an afternoon pickup!

Chocolate holidays alone could fill up an intoxicating calendar. Hmm...Perhaps, there's one in your future???

Janet Rudolph said...

Intoxicating. Hm... another chocolate liqueur day?

~~louise~~ said...

I'll have to check into that. In the meantime, I ran across this lovely article that I'm sure you will enjoy.

Janet Rudolph said...

What a wonderful story. Thanks so much for sending. I've been to Perugia--spend time in Florence as a student--and always loved Baci chocolate. We use to say, " Baci, baci, Kiss, kiss.."

~~louise~~ said...

You are more than welcome, Janet. I'm glad you liked it.