Pages

Monday, July 13, 2009

Chocolate Chip Scones


I don't think I've given a recipe for Scones on Dying for Chocolate. One that I really like and that I've been making for years is from Biscuits & Scones: 62 Recipes from Breakfast Biscuits to Homey Desserts by Elizabeth Alston (1988). The Chocolate Chip Scone recipe is from Plum's in NYC, developed by Kevin O'Brien (Don't know if Plum's is still there). Over the years I've changed a few things such as using broken pieces of chocolate instead of chocolate chips and using a little less sugar. I mostly use buttermilk, but the original recipe says you can use plain yogurt. I've used Greek yogurt.

Chocolate Chip Scones

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
12/ pound unsalted butter (room temp)
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar (I only use a 1/4 cup)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt (I like buttermilk but Greek yogurt gives a nice tang)
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I now use broken pieces of high quality dark chocolate)

Mix flour and baking powder in a bowl. In large bowl of electric mixer, beat butter on high until creamy. Add sugar and beat 3 to 5 minutes until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each.
Scrape sides of bowl; reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; mix only until blended. Remove the bowl from the machine. Sprinkle chocolate pieces (or chips) over the batter and fold in.
Scoop 1/3 cupfuls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet, placing the mounds about 2 inches apart. (I use an ice-cream scoop)
Loosely cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 45 minutes (or freeze, and when hard, remove to a plastic bag and freeze for up to 6 weeks)
Heat oven to 350. Uncover scones and bake 15 minutes. Turn heat down to 325 and bake about 13 minutes longer, or until pale golden brown. Cool, uncovered on wire rack.

And, yes, you can add nuts to this scone recipe. I've used pieces of walnuts.
These scones go well with clotted cream.

Have a recipe for chocolate related scones? Send a comment with a link.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has been a favorite at our house for years!

Anonymous said...

We have been making these for a long time. They are one of the few recipes that people ask me to make after they have had them once. If you replace one half cup of flour with cocoa powder, you make equally delicious chocolate chocolate chip scones.

Janet Rudolph said...

Oh, yum! Great idea to replace some flour with cocoa!