Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2009

National Pecan Pie Day

Another day, another holiday. Today is National Pecan Pie Day. August 20 is National Chocolate Pecan Day. And, on Derby Day, I featured several variations on Derby Pie. Here's my friend
Janet Appel's personal recipe. Leave it to someone from Kentucky to have the 'real' thing.

BOURBON CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE
(Originally called Derby Pie)

FROM ENTERTAINING THE LOUISVILLE WAY-QUEEN’S DAUGHTERS 1969

1 stick melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup white corn syrup
4 eggs beaten
1 tablespoon Wild Turkey Bourbon
1 cup whole pecans
½ cup chocolate chips

1-9 or 10 inch unbaked pie shell

Mix the above ingredients and pour into the pie shell. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until fairly firm at 350 degrees. Let cool and set up before serving. Garnish with sweetened whipped cream. Serves 6 to 8.

Notes: We soak the pecans in bourbon over night and use a jigger of bourbon. We still add the tablespoon of bourbon to the mixture. White corn syrup is Karo.

4 comments:

Janet A said...

Seeing that recipe makes me want to make one now. And I have pecans soaking in Bourbon at this moment. Thanks for linking to my blog.

~~louise~~ said...

I've been traveling all day. Finally made it to PA. Thanks to you, I didn't miss National Pecan Pie Day. I sure could use a piece of that pie right about now. If not, I'll take the Bourbon now and the pie to go!!!

P.S. I did manage to get a Watermelon Month post in before I left. Very "cool."

Janet Rudolph said...

I'll check out your watermelon post right now. I've put vodka in watermelons in the past for drunken watermelons. Sounds good right now to me after a few hours in end of weekend traffic.

~~louise~~ said...

Oh my all this "booze" talk is just what we all need tonight! So funny, I took a quick trip over to Culinary Types and T.W. has a post about Long Island Potatoes now being distilled into Vodka!!! I still need a drink!!!