Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

National Kahlua Day: Chocolate Kahlua Cake

February 27 is National Kahlua Day. I always loved Auntie Helen's Chocolate Kahlua Cake. She wasn't really my aunt, but she had lots of nephews and nieces whenever she made her Kahlua soaked dark Chocolate Cake. Unbelievably moist! I don't have her recipe, but I've recreated something similar over the years. Never really wrote it down, though. I'm pretty sure she used a box mix like Duncan Hines Chocolate Cake. As you may know from this blog, my recipes aren't always precise (a bit of this, a bit of that). So I went in search of a more accurate recipe!

I was thrilled to find, then, Mary Kennedy's Easy Chocolate Kahlua Cake on Mystery Lovers' Kitchen on Valentine's Day! How special is that!!  If you're not familiar with Mystery Lovers' Kitchen, get acquainted. It's a great site for mystery/foodie cross-over.  The tagline on the site is "Mystery writers cookin up crime.. and recipes.

I know Mary's recipes are terrific. She Guest Blogged here on Dying for Chocolate with her Killer Kahlua Brownie recipe. Mary must really love Kahlua. Well, no suprise. It goes so well with chocolate! Mary Kennedy is the author of Dead Air, the first book in the mystery series featuring clinical psychologist Dr. Maggie Walsh. Mary has a dynamite Chocolate Kahlua Cake recipe. And, this one tastes just like Auntie Helen's!

Mary Kennedy’s Easy Chocolate Kahlua Cake

1 package dark chocolate cake mix (I've used Duncan Hines)

1 small package chocolate instant pudding mix

4 eggs

3/4 cup oil

1/2 C. Kahlua  (or a little more)

1 (16 oz.) container sour cream

1 (12 oz.) package semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350° F. Mix all ingredients together. Pour into a well-greased, floured (or sprayed) Bundt pan. Bake 65 to 75 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool at least 30 minutes. Invert to remove. Sprinkle with powdered sugar to give a finished look.

You can also bake this cake in a 9 x 13-inch pan but reduce the cooking time. (Check the cake in about 40 to 45 minutes, if still liquid in the center, continue baking and checking until done).


Have a great Kahlua Day!!

Photo by Cleo Coyle

3 comments:

Mary Kennedy said...

Thanks so much for posting this, Janet. I forgot to say that I always use Duncan Hines cake mix in this recipe, too...it's always a big hit. And thank you to my dear friend and fellow author, Cleo Coyle from Mystery Lovers Kitchen, who is genius at writing mysteries, cooking, and oh yes, photography!

Janet Rudolph said...

Thank you for having all the right ingredients...

Becke Davis said...

This looks waaaay too tempting - I love Kahlua!