Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Bomb Shelter Chocolate-Cherry Delight Cake

Yesterday I posted Coca Cola Cake for Mad Men. BV Lawson sent me a note about Bomb Shelter Chocolate-Cherry Delight Cake which she found in:
Fashionable Food: Seven Decades of Food Fads
With a new Preface (University of Chicago Press)
©1995, 2005 464 pages, 35 halftones, 7 line drawings
ISBN: 978-0-226-49407-4

Since I don't have a bomb shelter, I haven't made this cake. It certainly would keep, especially with all the preservatives in some of the ingredients. I'm more into fresh organic chocolate foods, but if you try this cake, let me know what you think. What I do know is that I ordered Fashionable Food: Seven Decades of Food Fads for my cookbook collection!


Food for a Nuclear Winter:
"Not all the instant food being served up carried fancy French names. This “party-pretty dessert” could be made ahead (weeks probably) to save “hostessing time,” according to the Better Homes and Gardens Guide to Entertaining (1969)."

Bomb Shelter Chocolate-Cherry Delight Cake
1 (18 ¼-ounce) package devil’s food cake mix
1 (20-ounce) can cherry pie filling, undrained
1 (3.9-ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 package dessert topping mix (or use Cool Whip), enough to make 2 cups whipped topping
Maraschino cherries for garnish

Prepare and bake two 8- or 9-inch layers from the cake mix according to the package directions; cool. Whirl the pie filling in a blender for a few seconds, just until the cherries are chopped. Stir the pudding mix and cocoa into the pie filling. Prepare the dessert topping according to the package directions; fold into the cherry mixture. Spread about ½ cup of the cherry mixture on the bottom cake layer; top with the second layer. Spread the rest of the cherry mixture on the top and sides of the cake. Garnish with maraschino cherries. Chill until serving time.

Makes 1 cake

4 comments:

Zelda Benjamin said...

You post the greatest recipes. Love the handbook.

Janet Rudolph said...

Thanks, Zelda, and I love the Handbook, too!

Laura K. Curtis said...

When I bought the house I was in previous to this one, the real estate agent told me it had a wine cellar. I thought that was pretty cool, until we went to *see* the house. Sure, someone had built racks into the room down in the basement, but it was no wine cellar, it was clearly a bomb shelter. (That house also had a time capsule in the wall. It was an interesting place.)

Janet Rudolph said...

Laura, that's sooo cool. I really wanted a bomb shelter when I was young. I know several families in our suburban community had them. I only got to visit one, and I'm sure my friend's parents didn't know I did.