Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

Chocolate Fig Bread Pudding

Yesterday I was looking at a fabulous house in the country with over 3 acres of mature plantings. Loved the house and grounds, but I was most taken by the huge fig tree that shaded the back entertaining area. I could easily see myself sitting under that fig tree, reading a mystery and eating chocolate. So I thought, figs and chocolate. Sounds like a match. When I came home, I went through my recipe files, and found a recipe I picked up from the Blue Ribbon, Orchard Choice, Sun Maid Figs booth at the Fancy Food Show. It is also online, along with a lot of other terrific fig recipes.

Figs offer so many nutrients and minerals, so like chocolate, they're good for your health. They're fat-free, cholesterol free, sodium free! Perfect for pairing with chocolate.

I didn't find out what type of fig tree was at the house, but here in California, there are many varieties. Fresh figs are in now, and dried figs are always available. This is another easy recipe, and I absolutely love bread pudding!

Chocolate Fig Bread Pudding with Spirited Sauce

Chocolate Fig Bread Pudding
4 cups (3/4-inch cubes) firm white bread
1 cup coarsely chopped Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid Mission or Calimyrna figs, stems removed (or fresh figs from the farmers' market)
1/2 cup (3 oz) chocolate morsels or coarsely chopped chocolate (dark chocolate-70% or higher)
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
2 large eggs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

Spirited Sauce
1 -1/4cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons butter
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup dark rum or brandy

Heat oven to 350F.
Grease 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
Combine bread cubes, figs and chocolate in baking dish.
Heat milk and butter until butter is melted (do not boil).
Combine eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt; blend well.
Add hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly.
Pour over bread and fig mixture. Let stand 5 minutes.
Bake uncovered 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
If desired, baked pudding can be made several days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Before serving, reheat in 325F oven 15 minutes.
To prepare sauce, combine all ingredients in saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes. Serve warm over bread pudding.

Source and Photo: Valley Fig Growers

4 comments:

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking said...

Oh, this looks and sounds so amazing! I love bread pudding as well.

Janet Rudolph said...

How can you go wrong with figs. They're also good stuffed with goat cheese and chocolate and warmed up for just a bit...yum!

Beth Groundwater said...

Yum, yum, yum!

Unknown said...

May try some variation on this.....Did I tell you we have a mission fig tree that we harvest twice a year I have figs come out my ears want some?