Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Chocolate Cola: Guest Blogger Don Bruns

My crime fiction and chocolate worlds collide again. This time mystery author Don Bruns Guest blogs a personal 'vintage' story and 'vintage' recipe for Chocolate Cola. Don is the author of the Stuff Series and Caribbean Series, including Don't Sweat the Small Stuff and Bahama Burnout. And, did I mention he's multi-talented. Check out his music, HERE.

CHOCOLATE COLA by Don Bruns


My grandmother used to work at a soda fountain. I never asked her about her first job, but my mother told me this story. There was a Kresge's or some department store in Toledo, Ohio and my grandmother got a job pumping soda at the counter. I think most of the department stores had soda fountains back then. My grandma had a sweet tooth, even when I was growing up, and she baked raisin sugar cookies, chocolate chip cookies and a home made cherry pie that would put a big smile on your face. Her apple pie wasn't so bad either.

Mom said that grandma always felt she should taste every drink she made, so she could accurately describe the concoction to her customers. And her favorite was a cola with chocolate. The elixir was simple. You added two pumps of chocolate to a regular serving of Coke. Or Pepsi. Or whatever cola you were serving. Chocolate and cola. How could you go wrong?

Well, you could go wrong by drinking too much of your favorite beverage. The third day on the job, Marvel Griffith was warned that her job was on the line. She was drinking away most of the profit. But, the recipe remains.

Take one can of cola. Pepsi, Coke, Royal Crown. Diet or the full effect. Put two pumps of Nestles Quick into the drink and stir. It may sound simple, but this drink could change your life.

As far as I know, Marvel kept her job and cut back on her personal drinking habits. For the mature drinker, try some cola and Baileys Irish Cream.

Those of you who are health oriented, the people who cringe at recipes that are laden with calories and fat content, here is an alternative.  Just shut up. A chocolate cola was my grandmother's favorite drink. Respect that!

1 comment:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I had a chocolate coke for the first time in my life last month when we visited Columbus, IN on an architecture tour, and then had ice cream at the AMAZING Zaharakos Ice Cream Parlour, brilliantly restored to its 19th century glory. When I saw the chocolate coke on the menu I HAD to have one, I mean, it's chocolate, right? I loved it! (And now am off to buy some Nestle's Quik!)