Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Outrageous Chocolate Cookies: National Homemade Cookies Day

October 1 is National Homemade Cookies Day. Every day should be homemade cookie day because there's nothing quite like cookies fresh from the oven! Today I thought would be a great day to make Chocolate Cookies. I've posted a few recipes for Chocolate Cookies over the years. Some of my favorites:  Double Chocolate Pecan Cookies, Double Chocolate Cherry Cookies, Chocolate Cookies in a Jar.

If you've tried those and liked them, you'll LOVE these. The recipe for these Outrageous Chocolate Cookies comes from Martha Stewart. And, they truly are outrageous. The dough isn't like most cookie doughs. It's much more brownie-like. Delicious. Lately I've been using Guittard Chocolate, but you can use whatever you have. Just make sure it's the BEST you have.

Hint: Don't overbake these cookies. They are definitely supposed to be crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. It's like eating a little bit of Heaven!

OUTRAGEOUS CHOCOLATE COOKIES

8 ounces semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
4 tablespoons sweet butter
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure Madagascar vanilla extract
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chunks

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl in 20-second increments, stirring between each, until almost melted; do not overheat. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; beat in melted chocolate. Mix in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chunks.
3. Drop heaping tablespoons of dough 2 to 3 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are shiny and crackly yet soft in centers, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on baking sheets 10 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

8 comments:

Melinda said...

Oh. my. I have no words to describe how wonderful those look! I might need to rearrange my afternoon to make them.

Janet Rudolph said...

Melinda, if you want to make them look like this, hold back some of the broken chocolate and push in each cookie after dropping.

Unknown said...

Oh they do sound fantastic!! Thanks for linking them up - perfectly chocolatey!

Janet Rudolph said...

Thanks, and since I blog about chocolate every day, I'll try to stop by next Friday!

Rose Gold said...

Looking at your cookies are making me craves for more chocolaty cookies! I can’t wait to make this recipe! I think if I eat this cookie it will burst some chocolates inside my mouth and that is the best eating experience I will have. Lol. Thanks for the delicious recipe.

Janet Rudolph said...

You'll love these, Rose! They're from a Martha Stewart recipe, just tweaked a tiny bit. Can't go wrong!

Unknown said...

yummm, love martha! i wish i had time to make those! but because i'm so busy i've been searching around for a great cookie store online and I think I've finally found one, so I wanted to share... www.ruths-brownies.com! they make brownies and cookies with premium valrhona chocolates and they are SOOO good..shipped fresh from the oven! and right now they are having a sale, 15% off everything until Oct 31!

Melanie Plush said...

Martha’s recipes are truly yummy! This one is indeed an outrageous cookie. Lol. Better try this at home with my kids. Chocolates are their favorite and these cookies will surely love them to eat everyday.