Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Cappuccino Chocolate Chunk Muffins: National Cappucino Day

Today is National Cappuccino Day! A cappuccino is an Italian coffee drink prepared with espresso, hot milk, and steamed-milk froth.
The name cappuccino comes from the Capuchin friars, referring to the colour of their habits.
All this being said, I always look for a way to add chocolate to every 'food' holiday, and I have used a great recipe for National Cappuccino Day!

Because I utilize a lot of Wilton products in my baking from pans to coloring to more,  I came across this great recipe for Cappuccino Chocolate Chunk Muffins on the Wilton Website, and I adapted it just a bit. I like to have chocolate chunks rather than chips in my muffins! I use Wilton's Jumbo Muffin Pans, because if I'm going to have a muffin on National Cappuccino Day, it may as well be a big one!

CAPPUCCINO CHOCOLATE CHUNK MUFFINS

Tools:
Jumbo Muffin Pan
Jumbo Baking Cups

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided (or 65-75% dark chocolate, broken into chunks)
1/2 cup pecans, chopped and divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup instant coffee granules
1/4 cup sweet butter, melted
1 egg

Instructions
Makes: about 6 jumbo muffins

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line jumbo muffin pan with jumbo baking cups.
In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, 1/2 cup broken chocolate chunks,  1/4 cup chopped pecans, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
In small bowl, combine milk and coffee granules; stir until completely dissolved. Add melted butter and egg; mix well.
Add coffee mixture to flour mixture; mix until just moistened (Do not overmix).
Distribute mixture evenly into baking cups.
Sprinkle top of each muffin with reserved chocolate chunks and pecans.
Bake 25 to 28 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center of muffin is clean when removed. Remove from oven; cool muffins in pan 8 minutes.
Remove muffins from pan; cool completely on cooling grid.

Photo: Wilton

4 comments:

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

yum!
This reminds me of the wonderful chocolate chunk muffins you posted several months ago - only better!! There's something about biting into that surprise chunk of chocolate.

Janet Rudolph said...

Thanks, Kaye, these are pretty yummy, too...

Donna Eng said...

Thanks for sharing this!

I made these the other week and they were awesome! I pulled everything out to make another batch tonight but realized I had no egg :o( Guess what I'm picking up tomorrow!

Janet Rudolph said...

Hi, Donna, glad you liked them. They're a favorite of mine