Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Decadent Recipe from Elizabeth Sims

As you know my world's of Chocolate and Crime Fiction often collide. Today I welcome mystery author Elizabeth Sims who is guest blogging a truly decadent and easy recipe for Chocolate and Peanut Butter. Simple and delicious. You probably already have the ingredients in your pantry! :-)

Elizabeth Sims is the author of the Rita Farmer mysteries and the Lambda Award-winning Lillian Byrd mysteries. As a contributing editor at Writer’s Digest magazine she specializes in the art and craft of fiction. Visit her at www.elizabethsims.com

Elizabeth Sims:

I’m writing this on Halloween night in between answering the door to trick-or-treaters. So far all have been little and cute; by the time the tough teenagers start coming around we’ll have the light out and the door strapped shut with police tape. And the leftover Milky Ways WILL BE MINE, ALL MINE.

Thinking about children and candy, I’m remembering my teenaged babysitting days and a recipe I developed then. It works like a charm when you really need to shut them up.

As an adult, one might call the recipe shamelessly trashy. But once you read it, you know you’ll try it. So be it. Extremely easy: no cooking, no dish, even.

CHOCOLATE & PEANUT BUTTER

Ingredients:
1) Jar of peanut butter
2) Spoon
3) Chocolate chips

Directions:
1) Open jar of peanut butter.
2) Gouge your spoon deep into it.
3) Come up with a large glob.
4) Press chocolate chips into the peanut butter.This is the crucial step. Do not merely sprinkle the chips on the peanut butter.

5) Keep pressing in chocolate chips until no more can fit.
6) Serve.

Eating method 1: Nibble while reading a book.
Eating method 2: Cram the whole thing into your mouth at once. This is so depraved I can only do it when alone.

A traditional version of this recipe would involve Jif peanut butter and Nestlé's chocolate chips. If bridge club is coming over, however, I advise going gourmet with a natural-style peanut butter (no sugar added) and Ghirardelli bittersweet baking chips in the dark-brown bag (60% cacao).

If you try this, let us all know just how transformative the experience was.

A really great time to make and eat this recipe will be on November 18 just before you attend my live webinar, How to Write a Dynamite Mystery or Thriller That Sells, 1 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Eastern Time. I’m teaching this in cooperation with Writer’s Digest, where I’m a contributing editor. It’ll be jam-packed with the essential elements of the mystery-thriller, how-to advice, tips, and the hard-earned wisdom of somebody who’s written and gotten published seven mysteries. Plus you get to send in a page of your writing for a personal, constructive critique from me. For full information, hit this link http://bit.ly/aR8Fn2. or go to Writer’s Digest dot com and enter ‘Webinar Sims’ into the search. (It’s just easier than clicking through.)

Thanks for reading.


Photos: Marcia Burrows (thanks!)

3 comments:

Frank Fuller said...

And a great recipe it is! Perhaps a bit complicated for some, I can see that, but the picture is PRICELESS! I have the peanut butter, so now I must go in search of chocolate chips. I will not be making the gourmet version, however. No bridge clubs for me!

Marcia Burrows said...

I want my photo credit! I took that amazing author photo.

Janet Rudolph said...

You've got it! :-)