Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Strawberry Chocolate Cookie Crumble

I recently ordered a Strawberry Crumble for dessert. Yes, I ordered this over the Chocolate Plano Pudding, but it was a warm day, and I was splitting dessert with a strawberry shortcake fiend, so it was a compromise. Well, imagine my surprise when the crumble was not like any crumble I ever tasted before...or at least that I remembered, and it was all about chocolate! I asked the waiter. "Chocolate cookie dough crumble," he said. Obviously this dessert was not well described on the menu, but it was so delicious, who cared? I asked for the recipe. Well, no, it's chef's secret. So began my search for a recipe. Thank you, Internet, I found a good recipe at Food & Wine that replicated the chocolate cookie crumble, so I adapted that to use over my strawberries. I saw other recipes, but this one came closest. As far as the strawberry part..in the original restaurant dessert, they were cut up and seemed to be marinated with simple syrup and balsamic vinegar, but I can't be sure. Rememeber that the freshest strawberries will make for a winning dessert.. This would be great for Fourth of July!

STRAWBERRY CHOCOLATE COOKIE CRUMBLE

Ingredients
1/2 pound dark chocolate (72 percent), coarsely chopped
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup oat flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup turbinado sugar
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Strawberries (marinate with simple syrup & balsamic vinegar)

Directions
In food processor, pulse chocolate until size of peas. Transfer to plate and freeze for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 325°.
Sift both flours with cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
In large bowl, using electric mixer, beat butter with both sugars at medium speed until very light and fluffy, 5 minutes. Beat in flour mixture until just incorporated, then stir in frozen chocolate.
Put marinated strawberries in heat-proof deep pan (or individual ramekins).
Drop clumps of chocolate cookie dough on top of strawberries.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until top is dry but crumble is still soft. Let cool completely.

No comments: